Welcome to the home of JeffK photography

Here you will find info on my photography...new and old. I do mostly nature and things, but also try to catch the right expression on a family member or stranger. At some point I'll be adding some scans of film slides from my high school photo lab days. Hope you enjoy.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Textures and Actions

Textures and Actions and photos oh my! Amy, over at the Purple-Hippie blog, is always up for new challenges and adventures in blogging and photography. I got her interested in photography, and she turned me on to PSE, and using actions and textures. I was using GIMP to do my photo editing because it is free, but I got my hands on an old version of PS7, so I could learn actions and layers. GIMP does not do actions, but there are filters and many scripts to apply similar functions as in PS and PSE.

Anyway, on her blog was a challenge presented by Lynda at the Daily Window. There is a photo of a rose, and the challenge was to present how we would use actions and textures to improve the photo. The following photo is the original from Lynda:




Now my version, for which I used GIMP: I applied an HDR effect, then tone mapping. I did a slight adjustment using curves. After this I ran the file thru the "Noiseware" program. Next I went into PSE8 and applied the 'Define and Sharpen' actions from Pioneer Woman. Next I ran 'Fresh and C0lorful' action, also from PW. A final run thru Noiseware to produce this:

Good? Bad? so-so? As Amy said , no 2 people will edit the same, apply the same actions, and produce the same result.

3 comments:

  1. Noiseware first, then edit. Especially if you are doing the HDR effect. The HDR should be the last thing you do. I love Fresh and Colorful, but I'm not sure how I feel about mixing it with HDR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! I think the result turned out so interesting! The leaves and water drop especially look so crisp! I am interested to try out that noiseware program Amy pointed to also.

    I'm a new subscriber to your blog, by the way. I find it so sweet the way you inspired her to become a photographer and that you can share this passion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting result. I agree with Amy that I would have done the noiseware first too. I've never used the HDR effect.

    And thanks for stopping by today with such sweet comments. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete