Welcome to the home of JeffK photography

Here you will find info on my photography...new and old. I do mostly nature and things, but also try to catch the right expression on a family member or stranger. At some point I'll be adding some scans of film slides from my high school photo lab days. Hope you enjoy.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Black and White Wednesday

Welcome to another Black and White wednesday at The Long Road to China. Again, I have not felt very motivated lately...knowing that soon we are facing months of gray dismal skies, lack or color outside, no flowers, and snow. About the only motivation I have is looking at my fall shots from the pond on my road. I have to admit, they are fantastic. If I knew that I could post them for all to see, I would! The lighting was dead on, the colors were outstanding, and it makes me glad to have the Nikon. There is one shot I need to get, and that is a waterfall with an 'inn' behind it. In the afternoon the sun is shining perfectly. Trouble is, the location is right by a busy intersection. I will get it this week I hope.



See...I was rambling on about fall and colors and not the matter at hand, which is Black and White Wed. I took this shot earlier in the year, of a mirror dog in front of my house. I like the affect of the circular reflection. My son Matthew is standing there next to me. We just found out today, although I knew this, that he will not be able to get another year of high school in 2011. He will turn 21 in August, and in New York, (maybe other states) he cannot be in school past the age of 21. Matt thought he could have another year, but I told him that he will be 21, and will not be allowed to go another year. So this year is really his senior year. Matt can be a good model for Amy and I, and both of us try out various actions and photographic tricks on him. I wanted to post a photo of them here but it is on my other PC.

8 comments:

  1. Great shot! I love the roundish reflection. The composition is just perfect in that you can see just enough of the sculpture to make out what it is.

    Erika B

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat shot - now I need to see all this color you're talking about. The interesting thing about the gloomy weather we're about to see is that we can convert the shots to bw and make them look "artistic." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool picture! I like it! To answer your question about that building. It's called the San Jacinto Monument. It's in Baytown, Texas! If you search it on the internet you can find out what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to stop by when I saw your comment on another site that you use GIMP (I'm a GIMP user too). Usually I feel like an outcast minority in this photoshop world!

    Very cool self-portrait. I love all the distortion in the globe, the depth of field you grabbed it at, and the black & white conversion has perfect contrast to it. It's a fascinating shot really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This shot is so interesting, I keep looking into that bubble thing so much detail, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff, thank you for leaving a comment, I am very flattered by what you have said, genuinely.

    I think you take great pictures, and winter I am sure will bring you really interesting shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your black and white shot - I rarely do anything in black and white as I love my colours so I must do some editing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool shot. Very unique. I love the reflection!

    ReplyDelete