Welcome to the home of JeffK photography

Here you will find info on my photography...new and old. I do mostly nature and things, but also try to catch the right expression on a family member or stranger. At some point I'll be adding some scans of film slides from my high school photo lab days. Hope you enjoy.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

PixelPerfect: Before & After

Hi, and welcome to my entry for Before and After by Monica at Pixel Perfect. I love to see what she has to offer, and of course what everyone else submits for their entries. There are many blogs and many challenges. I particularly like this one, for us to share how we might change, or improve, an otherwise boring or simple photo. I have a lot of photos that I know could look better. At the same time, some of my photos look just fine SOOC. In any case, my entry tonight comes from the pond on my road. The photo is shot in the yard of a neighbor who lives across from the pond, and he graciously let me down to photograph 'his spot'. He formed what you see in this photo, every rock, every stump, and the perfect path for the water. Made for some great shooting!

Before


After


Basically I popped the color, increased the contrast and removed the black hole. So, I did a soft-glow, then layers of Gaussian Blur at Normal, then Lighten, and Dodge and Burn layer, levels adjustment, clone rocks into black hole, followed by an Unsharp Mask. Comments?

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Really intriguing lighting. Great edit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great edit, you brought out details and color. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty photo! Love the brighter yellows in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - it was a great shot but I'm always amazed at how a little bit of processing MAKES the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jeff-
    I like the before and then I like the after even better. Your neighbor has a beautiful spot...looks like an oasis of tranquility.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 'before' pic was already beautiful, but your edit just made it magical. The colors, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic edit!! Not over the top, but makes the photo look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful capture! Love the edit! Thanks for stopping by my blog, i always love new followers!

    ReplyDelete